This is a placeholder post for questions I have about self-publishing. I will update these as I form more opinions and gather more knowledge.
Where to publish?
- self website / Github
- effort to set up
- literacy in technologies
- best-practices knowledge?
- long term archiving and maintainence?
- personally, I think public spending + universities should provide platform for open publishing and the university archives can be indexed - but this means non-university staff cannot contribute?
- web-archive is only archive, ideally original source should persist
How to verify authenticity of publisher?
- how to ensure identity of 'owner' (not that current publishers do any of these)
- how to ensure article is not 'altered' later after 'publishing'? - current third-party publishing means control is not with you, so less interest in changing a particular article
- maybe have MD5 saved with external 'declaration' of publication? (current third-party publishing does not guarentee this either)
- Where to put 'notice' of where the article was reviewed? Currently, the proceedings first pages provide some information on process, chairs, etc.
- How to prove the published article was peer-reviewed? (current third-party publishing does not guarentee this either, it is all on 'good faith')
- How to get it indexed / searcheable? e.g. Google Scholar, DBLP, etc. Currently, limited to select publishers so their websites are selectively targeted for indexing (I assume)
- Some system to 'declare' an article is now published e.g. OpenCitation + crawler?
Compatibility with tools
- Least effort scenario is to use existing tools e.g. output PDF with metadata (title, author)
- For HTML articles, need tools to detect and parse article e.g. bibliography tool to detect metadata